Directly to the info
The superiority of plastic gears
Even if gear wheels made of plastic do not come near to the load capacity values of metallic materials, plastics are superior to metals in other ranges of requirements. Plastic gear wheels are characterised by:
- Low weight and thus low mass inertia and low energy requirement
- Vibration damping
- Noise reduction
- Corrosion resistance
HAWAMID PA 12G is furthermore characterised by:
- Especially high abrasion resistance
- Especially good self-lubrication and dry-run properties
- Dimensional stability and unvarying mechanical strength even in damp/wet environments thanks to low water absorption
- Especially high load capacity in the case of intermittent load peaks
- High accuracy in fitting in the case of pressed-in ball bearings thanks to low creep behaviour
- Largely stable mechanical values across wide range of temperatures between -50°C and +120°C during continuous operation
HAWAMID PA 12G + FE offers additional advantages thanks to hybrid connection
- Transfer of high forces via metal hub to plastic lining
- Fast removal of heat
- Design according to steel standards
HAWAMID PA 12G + oil enhances the antifriction and dry-run properties yet again thanks to the oil incorporated into the material.
Gear wheels made of plastic are superior to metals in other ranges of requirements.
Low weight and lower moments of inertia
In the case of sprockets, similar material parameters are important as with gears. The low weight offers particular advantages when designing sprockets made of HAWAMID PA 12G. Considerably lower moments of inertia can be expected during acceleration and braking. Combined with the sliding friction and dry-run properties PA 12G is an ideal material for maintenance-free constructions.
PA 12G is an ideal material for maintenance-free constructions.
Outstanding mechanical properties of track rollers
HAWAMID PA 12G exhibits a number of mechanical properties required in particular in applications using runners and which are not or only insufficiently offered by metals and other plastics such as POM or PET:
- The high restoring force in conjunction with the high load limits prevent the rollers from flattening out. After being deformed by static loads the material quickly returns to its original shape, thus ensuring vibration-free concentric running, low rolling resistance and little wear.
- Thanks to the low creep behaviour of PA 12G across a wide range of temperatures the pressed-in ball bearings do not become loose even when subjected to static loads – a decisive criterion for high-precision guide materials.
- HAWAMID PA 12G is noise-absorbing, vibration-absorbing and especially resistant to intermittent peak loads.
- The hybrid connection HAWAMID 12G + FE with metal hubs allows for high power transmission onto the runner during acceleration and braking.
- The toughness and abrasion resistance allow for long operating times. Ideal partners have been found by pairing a HAWAMID PA 12G runner with a metal runner track. Little wear, smooth running properties and reduced strain on the running track are thus possible even in the case of high loads.
Precision runner with ball bearing seat for linear measuring station.
Runner with thin lining for fast heat removal. The wide, high-faced bearing surface distributes the surface pressure and reduces the strain on the track.
Pulleys with high load limits
The arguments in favour of HAWAMID PA 12G being used for pulleys are its high abrasion resistance and elasticity. Here too the pairing of the material PA 12G with a steel cable results in long operating times and smooth running properties. Under load the elastic PA 12G gives way – the cable presses into the pulley – thus increases the bearing surfaces of the individual cable strands and reduces the surface pressure: the cable has a much longer service life compared to when used with metal pulleys.
Compared to PA 6G, HAWAMID PA 12G not only has higher load limits but can also be used in damp, wet or cold environments without becoming soft, bursting during frost, becoming brittle or losing its mechanical strength.
Long service life, high load limits, high operational dependability and smooth and quite operation: pulleys made of HAWAMID PA 12G paired with steel cables.
Friction bearings, sliding plates
HAWAMID PA 12G + oil for sliding applications
HAWAMID PA 12G and especially HAWAMID PA 12G + oil are ideal materials for high-load sliding applications since they meet all essential requirements:
- Good antifriction and emergency running properties
- High abrasion resistance
- Good damping capacity especially in the case of intermittent loads
- High dimensional stability even in wet environments
- Approved for food handling
- Wide range of temperatures during continuous operation
Here too the advantages over PA 6G lie in the higher degree of crystallinity which makes HAWAMID PA 12G more resilient and ensures minimal water absorption.
When choosing materials for sliding applications, not only the mechanical values are important but also the resistance of the sliding partners against ambient conditions and the media used.
Wherever the use of lubricants is possible, running-in lubrication is recommended in order to increase operating times.
Especially HAWAMID PA 12G + oil is the ideal material with best properties for sliding applications.
Highly resilient gaskets
Depending on the ambient conditions and media used, HAWAMID PA 12G is also a suitable material for producing heavy-duty gaskets.
The properties are combined in one material – an unusual composition:
- high elasticity and resilience
- no flattening out when subjected to continuous static loads
- highly resistant against abrasive media
- wide range of temperatures in the case of peak loads and continuous loads and
- low water absorption / swelling behaviour
Highly resilient gaskets for a wide range of ambient conditions and media.
Polyamide 12 cast as ideal cam disc
Low inertia mass, good dry-run properties, wear resistance and exacting tolerances are the material requirements of cam discs. HAWAMID PA 12G meets these requirements even in damp environments and when exposed to long-term temperatures of -40°C to +120°C.
Hoch belastbare Dichtungen für verschiedenste Umgebungsbedingungen und Medien.
Spindle nuts (linear guides, lift tables)
Im Gewinde werden gute Gleit- und Verschleißeigenschaften, für die Krafteinleitung hohe Festigkeit und Elastizität gefordert. HAWAMID PA 12G + Öl – selbstschmierend ausgerüstet – bietet sich hier als idealer Werkstoff an. Besonders dort, wo Stäube vermischt mit Schmiermitteln zu hohem Verschleiß an Mutter und Spindel führen. Denn HAWAMID PA 12G + Öl kann ohne Zusatzschmierung im Trockenlauf eingesetzt werden.
HAWAMID PA 12G + oil can be used in dry-running applications without the use of additional lubricants.
Pump impellers, pump back plate
HAWAMID PA 12G – better than high-alloy stainless steel
Pumps are particularly prone to high wear. HAWAMID PA 12G withstands pressure, vacuum, high speeds and abrasive media better than high-alloyed stainless steels. And it does so with a considerably lower weight.